“blog about it”
Yesterday was a windy day; I felt like it was Boston and the Red Roof Inn all over again. [check out my “Day 1 – ROAD TRIP” post for details on that]. I came home to a nice surprise and I texted my mom and my brother for help. Like any brother would do, Brian gave some great advice.
Thanks for the tip, I’m doing just that! Oh, and I fixed the house too. At least temporarily. [Think Brian’s comment was funny? Check out his blog here for more witty BP action] Here goes my first post about home fix-it solutions and DIY. As I’m sure most of you know I’m a very stubborn person. I don’t like it when someone tells me I can’t do something. Sometimes this means I go to extreme measures. For example, don’t have an extension ladder to reach the vinyl blown off of the wood on the gables? No problem, just grab the rickety wooden ladder I do have and use it to climb up the side of the chimney and up onto the roof, as shown here.
This is where I need to throw in a disclaimer. Do not try this at home without proper adult supervision, or maybe don’t try it at all, just call someone with a big ladder and have them fix it. But as a side note, this trip to the roof at least gives me the opportunity to clean out the leaves and debris you can see stuck at the corner of the gutters. And I have been wanting to examine the roof and see what shape its in; according to the previous owners, a new roof was put on around 2005 and boy was she a beaut.
I’m now standing on the roof at the back of the house. I crawl my way over to the side of the house, with hammer and nails in hand. The metal/vinyl piece was still connected and hanging by a few lonely nails on one edge; it was quite beaten from blowing in the wind all day. I manage to reshape it and then it was time to go to town with the hammer and nails. While laying on the roof and arms extended I proceeded to nail that bad boy back onto the wood so that it snuggley fit right under the edge of the shingles. And then I added a few extra nails just for good measure. So I climbed back down the fireplace “staircase” and old ladder to admire my work. Since I’m OCD, I made myself climb back up there to fix a couple places where the piece didn’t quite cover the underneath pieces (using very technical terms here). I climb back down a second time and am pleased with the outcome. It may not have been pretty, but it was good enough to be a temporary fix. You can see in the picture below the finish product.
So there you have it. My first blog post that just screams DIY. [Do-It-Yourself, for those of you who may not be up on the HGTV lingo] My methods may be unusual at times (and probably not recommended by a professional), but when I’m presented with a problem I like to go to all measures to fix it myself. Let’s just hope I never end up on this website though… There I Fixed It
Oh and PS – I did call mom afterwards just to let her know I didn’t fall off the roof or anything.